TYLA Officers


Rebekah Steely Brooker, President


Dustin M. Howell, Chair


Sam Houston, Vice President


Baili B. Rhodes, Secretary


John W. Shaw, Treasurer


C. Barrett Thomas, President-elect


Priscilla D. Camacho, Chair-elect


Kristy Blanchard, Immediate Past President

TYLA Directors


Amanda A. Abraham, District 1


Sharesa Y. Alexander, Minority At-Large Director


Raymond J. Baeza, District 14

    Aaron J. Burke, District 5, Place 1

Aaron T. Capps, District 5, Place 2


D. Lance Currie, District 5, Place 3


Laura W. Docker, District 10, Place 1

    Andrew Dornburg, District 21
    John W. Ellis, District 8, Place 2
    Zeke Fortenberry, District 4

Bill Gardner, District 5, Place 4


Morgan L. Gaskin, District 6, Place 5

    Nick Guinn, District 18, Place 1

Adam C. Harden, District 6, Place 6


Amber L. James, District 17


Curtis W. Lucas, District 9

    Rudolph K. Metayer, District 8, Palce 1

Laura Pratt, District 3

    Sally Pretorius, District 8, Place 2

Baili B. Rhodes, District 2


Alex B. Roberts, District 6, Place 3

    Eduardo Romero, District 19
    Michelle P. Scheffler, District 6, Place 2

John W. Shaw, District 10, Place 2

    Nicole Soussan, District 6, Place 4
    L. Brook Stuntebeck, District 11

C. Barrett Thomas, District 15

    Judge Amanda N. Torres, Minority At-Large Director

Shannon Steel White, District 12

    Brandy Wingate Voss, District 13
    Veronica S. Wolfe, District 18, Place 2

Baylor Wortham, District 7

    Alex Yarbrough, District 16


Justice Paul W. Green, Supreme Court Liaison


Jenny Smith, Access To Justice Liaison


Brandon Crisp, ABA YLD District 25 Representative


Travis Patterson, ABA/YLD District 26 Representative


Assistant Dean Jill Nikirk, Law School Liaison


Belashia Wallace, Law Student Liaison


TYLA Office

Tracy Brown, Director of Administration
Bree Trevino, Project Coordinator

Michelle Palacios, Office Manager
General Questions: tyla@texasbar.com

Mailing Address

P.O. Box 12487, Capitol Station
Austin, Texas 78711-2487
(800) 204-2222 ext. 1529
FAX: (512) 427-4117

Street Address

1414 Colorado, 4th Floor
Austin, Texas 78701
(512) 427-1529


Views and opinions expressed in eNews are those of their authors and not necessarily those of the Texas Young Lawyers Association or the State Bar of Texas.





























































Editor's Column

Editor's Column

Six Percent Decide Constitutional Amendments
By:  Brooke Ulrickson Allen, Attorney, Brown, Dean, Wiseman, Proctor, Hart & Howell LLP

In early November, less than 6% of the registered voters in Texas voted on 10 Texas Constitutional Amendments – LESS THAN 6%! First, as one of the “six percenters,” I want to encourage the other 94% to get out and vote. These amendments impact our state revenues and budgets which I believe everyone can agree have been under scrutiny and debate the last few years. In addition, they provide more power to state officials, and we should all want to make our voices heard – for or against the additional power. Here are the results:

Proposition 1: Tax Exemption for the Surviving Spouses of Disabled Vets- Passed with 82.8% of the vote.

Proposition 2: Texas Water Division Board Authorization to Issue Additional Bonds Not Exceeding $6 Billion- Passed with 51.5% of the vote.

Proposition 3: Issue Bonds to Finance Educational Loans to Students- Passed with 54.5% of the vote.

Proposition 4: Permit County to Issue Bonds for Development- Failed with 59.7% of the dissenting vote.

Proposition 5: Allow City and County to Enter Interlocal Contracts- Passed with 57.7% of the vote.

Proposition 6: General Land Office to Distribute Revenue for Public Education- Passed with 51.5% of the vote.

Proposition 7: Permit El Paso County to Create Reclamation Districts- Failed with 51.6% of the dissenting vote.

Proposition 8: Appraisal for Ad Valorem Tax of Land Devoted to Water Stewardship- Failed by 52.9% of the dissenting vote.

Proposition 9: Authorize Governor to Pardon a Person Who Completes Deferred Adjudication- Passed with 57.3% of the vote.

Proposition 10: Extend Length of Unexpired Term Which Triggers Automatic Resignation- Passed with 55.9% of the vote.

For more detailed information, click here for the Secretary of State’s website.  Also, I hope Texans take a more active role in the future to determine the path of this Great State!